Closed School Transfers

Closed School Transfers

Transfer Credits from Other Institutions

Courses or current health care licenses accepted by the school for transfer credit will be reflected on the student’s transcript. The program length is shortened to reflect the transferred courses, and the maximum time frame for satisfactory progress is recalculated. The transferred credit hours and grades are not calculated in the cumulative grade point average.

Only courses completed at institutions accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) will be considered for transfer. To be eligible for transfer, courses must have been successfully completed with a “C” or higher and must be reasonably similar in content to courses at the Baptist Health System School of Health Professions. Courses must have equivalent semester credit, quarter credit, or clock hours. Any medical or allied health courses for which the student is requesting transfer credit will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Baptist Health System School of Health Professions reserves the right to accept or deny transfer of credit.

General education transfer credits will be applied for both associate and bachelor degree programs through the semester preceding the final semester in which the student will graduate. With the exception of the Associate of Applied Science in Surgical Technology – Accelerated Alternate Delivery program, students may not enter the final semester without all general education credits completed.

Students are responsible for checking their transcripts in SONIS to ensure all transfer credit has been applied and all transcripts have been received. Students who have not completed general education courses will be withdrawn from school and may re-enter the final semester when it is next offered upon successful completion of the general education requirements. No transfer credits will be accepted when a student is in withdrawn status.



Closed School Discharge: General Eligibility Requirements

Generally, a borrower may receive a discharge of a Title IV loan obtained for attendance at a school that has closed if the borrower was unable to complete his or her program of study because the school closed while the borrower was enrolled, or if the borrower withdrew from the school not more than 120 days before the school closed. However, a borrower is not eligible for a closed school discharge if he or she is completing a comparable program of study at another school:

  • Through a teach-out agreement with the school,

  • By transferring academic credits or hours earned at the closed school to another school, or

  • By any other comparable means.

Things to Consider Related to Transfer of Credits

  • A borrower transferring into a comparable program should have an understanding from the receiving school how many credits earned at the closing school will transfer towards the receiving school’s program.

  • Borrowers should consider the number of credits that will transfer into a comparable program before choosing to transfer credits instead of applying for a closed school discharge (forgoing the discharge in order to transfer a small number of credits may not be in the borrower’s best interest.)

Completing a Comparable Program “by any other comparable means”

Factors that indicate a borrower is completing a comparable educational program “by any other comparable means” include, but are not limited to, the receiving school evaluating the borrower’s competencies through testing or interviews that translate to credit or steps toward completion of core credits for the comparable program.