PERSONAL VIOLENCE RESOURCES
The school is committed to maintaining a safe and secure academic environment free of any form of sexual misconduct as identified in the federal “Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act” (VAWA). Education and resources promoting prevention, reporting and support are provided. Additional information on VAWA policies can be found in the academic catalog and the “Campus Security Policies” posted on the SHP website.
Acts may include:
- Sexual assault - includes any sexual offense without consent. Consent must be voluntary and with intelligence and knowing—not coerced submission. Consent does not mean the failure of the alleged victim to offer physical resistance.
- Dating Violence - includes any sexual or physical abuse (or threat of abuse) by a person who is or has been in a social relationship of romantic or intimate nature
- Domestic Violence - includes crime of violence by current or former spouse, cohabitant, or person sharing a common child
- Stalking - includes conduct of another directed at a specific person that causes fear for safety or substantial emotional distress; May include any action or device used as a means of observing, monitoring or communicating to you or about you.
- Sexual Harassment - includes verbal, visual or physical forms of harassment sexual in nature or stipulating that a grade/performance rating will be based on whether a student submits to sexual conduct.
- The first priority for a victim of sexual violence is to get to a place of safety.
- All students are encouraged to report, in as a timely manner as possible, any incident that occurs on campus to the Student Health Nurse, counselor, administration, security office or the San Antonio Police Department (SAPD).
- The student will be guided through available options for assistance support, and/or counseling as desired.
San Antonio and Area Resources:
- Alamo Area Rape Crisis Center- Hotline (210-349-7273) rapecrisis.com
- Family Violence- Hotline (210-930-2669)
- Battered Women’s Shelter - (210-733-8810)
- Bexar County Family Justice Center - (210-631-0100) bcfjc.org
- RAINN (Rape, Abuse, Incest National Network)- Hotline (1-800-656-4673) rainn.org
- National Domestic Violence- Hotline (1-800-799-7233) thehotline.org
- National Sexual Violence Resource Center- Hotline (1-800-656-4673) nsvrc.org
- Safe Horizon Center (Stalking)- Hotline (1-800-621-4673) safehorizon.org
- Faculty, staff and students are encouraged to speak out against all forms of sexual misconduct and model behaviors that show respect for others and promote positive pro-social behavior.
- If you are a witness to an incident (or suspected incidence) of sexual misconduct, offer support to the victim and encourage reporting.
- The school investigates all reports regarding student sexual misconduct and forbids retaliation against any individual who files a complaint or who participates in a complaint process.