The Baptist Health System School of Health Professions evolved from a private cluster of health science schools sponsored by the Baptist Health System. VHS San Antonio Partners, LLC, dba Baptist Health System, was a subsidiary of Vanguard Health Systems, Inc. In October 2013, the school and Baptist Health System were acquired by Tenet Healthcare Corporation.
The School of Nursing was the first school, chartered in 1903. Surgical Technology followed in 1955, Medical Imaging Technology in 1959, and Vocational Nursing in 1988. In 2009, the first graduates were awarded the Associate of Applied Science in Nursing, ushering in a new era for the school. In 2010, the school was approved to offer the Associate of Applied Science in Radiologic Technology and the Associate of Applied Science in Surgical Technology. Also in 2010, the school offered the first fully online courses in the Magnetic Resonance Imaging program, followed in 2011 by a second fully online program, Advanced Certificate in Computed Tomography. The school was approved at the baccalaureate level to offer the RN to BSN in 2012 and the Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management in 2013, both of which are fully online. In 2016, the Associate of Applied Science in Radiologic Technology and the Associate of Applied Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography were approved for both resident and fully online delivery. The newest program and the first graduate program, the Master of Science in Nursing with a concentration in Nursing Administration, was approved for online delivery in 2017.
Baptist Health System has a reputation for graduating highly competent and caring health care professionals. Graduates will enter the dynamic health care environment at a time when their knowledge and skills are highly valued.
About Baptist Health System
Baptist Health System has been a trusted provider of hospital and health care services in San Antonio and south central Texas for over a century. Our mission is to help people achieve health for life through compassionate service inspired by faith. Baptist Health System includes the following services and facilities:
- Six acute-care hospitals – Baptist Medical Center, Mission Trail Baptist Hospital, North Central Baptist Hospital, Northeast Baptist Hospital, and St. Luke’s Baptist Hospital in San Antonio and Resolute Health Hospital in New Braunfels, Texas
- Baptist Emergency Hospitals in convenient locations around San Antonio
- Baptist Orthopedic Hospital
- Baptist Children’s Hospital at North Central Baptist Hospital
- Baptist Breast Centers featuring patient navigators, genetic counseling, and leading imaging services
- School of Health Professions
- HealthLink Fitness and Wellness Centers in San Antonio and New Braunfels
- HealthLink Physical Rehabilitation Centers conveniently located throughout San Antonio
- Baptist M&S Imaging Centers conveniently located throughout San Antonio
- Pregnancy testing centers across San Antonio
- Numerous affiliated MedFirst primary and specialty care clinics
- Numerous MedPost Urgent Care Clinics in San Antonio, New Braunfels, and Seguin
- Baptist Home Health Services
About Baptist Health System School of Health Professions
The School of Health Professions is a baccalaureate, and associate’s degree-granting institution and the premier education component of the Baptist Health System. The Baptist Health System School of Health Professions is comprised of the following academic departments and the Bruce A. Garrett Medical Library:
- General Education
- Medical Imaging Technology
- Professional Nursing
- Surgical Technology
- Vocational Nursing and Healthcare Management
To develop and promote excellence by providing a solid foundation in health care education (using both traditional and distance learning formats) for future and current practitioners with a competent and compassionate approach to patient care and safety.